hello saturday it’s sunny and in the 60’s in BK. i’m feeling a cold coming on, but i’m okay with it as long as this weather stays.
what i’m craving this morning is tea and toast, and i’ll have that soon… but i wanted to start the day with one of my healthy GREEN smoothies : ) i started making them in the summer and have vowed to keep it up as the weather gets cooler because they’re just so super healthy. if you’re a person who does not really enjoy eating leafy greens but understands the need for them in your diet, you should try this.
for two large smoothies (one for me and one for isaac) i use:
- 1.5 cups frozen organic strawberries
- 1 cup frozen organic peaches
- 3/4 cup frozen organic raspberries
- 2 average size frozen organic bananas (i buy, peel, and freeze bananas on the regular for this)
- 2 cups frozen organic kale* (you can also use spinach, but if you use kale make sure to freeze it first, the flavor gets so much less leafy after freezing!)
- a squirt of agave to taste for added sweetness
Depending on the day and what i have handy i might change these ingredients up, all measurements are approximations. I throw everything into the blender, fruit first (and today i also added 1/3 cup of almonds for protein). then i add the kale on top, you can puree the fruit and almonds first and then add the kale or just throw it all in at once, i don’t think it matters. add a cup or so of water (you can use juice or something else liquid-y like yogurt, which i do sometimes, if you want) and puree until super smooth. pour into large glasses and enjoy : )
*i buy fresh kale, clean it, pull it off of the thick stems, and shove it into a ziploc bag to freeze. once it’s frozen you can break pieces off and throw them into your smoothies super easily!